Electrical inspections in the Power and Communications service area are performed by different entities depending on the county. Power and Communications require proof of a passed electrical inspection (i.e. a meter release) from the inspector before a service can be connected. Power and Communications will connect the service or set the meter within 5 business days of receiving a passed inspection.
- Information on obtaining electrical permits for projects within the Town of Estes Park boundaries can be found on the State webpage for Electrical and Plumbing permits. Please refer to this Q&A to see if you need to obtain an electrical permit.
CO Electrical Permits
- Information on building permits within Town limits can be found at Building Safety and Permitting.
Town Building Permit
- Information on building permits, including electrical permits, in unincorporated Larimer County can be found at Larimer County Building
- Information on building permits in Boulder County
- Contact the State Electrical Inspector
303-869-3446,or 1-855-451-9790 (toll-free)
- Contact the Boulder County Land Use Office
Building Safety &, Inspection Services:
Email: Ask a Building Official
- Contact the Larimer County Building Department
200 W. Oak Street, Suite 3100
PO Box 1190
Fort Collins, CO 80522-1190
Phone: (970) 498-7700
Inspection Request Line: (970) 498-7697
Hours: 8am - 4pm (Monday, Wednesday - Friday); 9am - 4pm (Tuesday)
Estes Park office
1601 Brodie Ave.
Estes Park, CO 80517
Phone: (970) 577-2100
Estes Park Hours: 8am - 11am (Mon, Wed - Friday); Closed Tuesday
To request an electrical inspection
Within Town limits, electrical inspections are performed by a state electrical inspector. Currently, David Alfers is the State Electrical Inspector assigned to the Estes Valley. He is available for inspections in the Estes Valley area Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Inspections should be scheduled no later than the day prior to the date of inspection.
Inspection requests should be submitted through the State Online Permit System.
- Log in with your EC registration # and click the permit number that you wish to be inspected.
- Then scroll down to the "Request Inspection" button and click it.
- Fill out the information and click submit. It will be sent to the appropriate inspector, who will add the job to his schedule.
- When your permit has been scheduled, you will see the following notation in red: "This permit number is on your inspector's itinerary for an inspection today". There will be additional information provided with this message.
Starting July 1, 2020, anyone needing an electrical permit in unincorporated Larimer County, or doing electrical work as a part of a larger construction project, will go to Larimer County Building Division instead of the state of Colorado. Any electrical permits issued by the Colorado Electrical Board through June 30, 2020 will continue to be inspected by the state until completion or expiration.
Inspections must be requested no later than 11:59 pm the day before they are desired, via the Larimer County customer access portal or the IVR phone system. Per state law, only state-licensed electricians or homeowners doing their own work on the home they reside in, may perform electrical work. County staff will check for proper state licenses when permits are issued and may check for licenses at any time in the field.
Please visit the Larimer County Electrical Inspections and Permits page for more information.
In Boulder County, electrical inspections are performed by County inspectors. To schedule an inspection call 303-441-3925, then Press "1".
The permit number and inspection code are required to schedule inspections.
The permit number can be found on the top right-hand corner of the permit card and begins with "BP".
Please see the Boulder County Building Inspections page for complete instructions and information.